First things first: Happy 2017! No pressure, but you have to be better than 2016 for me and everyone else on this earth. Ok? Ok.
I’m relieved this New Year is finally here and I am more than ready to shuck off the negativity I wrapped up 2016 with here on Anxiety Ink. I have high expectations, but I didn’t even touch the bar last year so I have to make it up to myself.
As I said a number of times before, my word for 2017 is BALANCE. I need to better balance every aspect of my life and not let parts get ignored. I have to stop pushing certain things back. I have to stop letting certain aspects overwhelm others. I have to stop waiting for things to happen. Being a passive participant in my own life is as smart as writing a passive character in fiction. It’s not good. Everyone needs to be active.
I’ve come up with a few ideas for accountability that I’m going to test out in the first quarter. If they don’t help by my first goal check-in, I’m scrapping them. If I learned anything this year, it’s that I can’t keep up habits that don’t help me reach my goals. Accountability plans are only good if they work. Things that don’t work are getting kicked this year –early and far.
I’m also focusing on measurable goals this time around. I need to be able to see progress so that I know I’m getting somewhere. I need to have steps to conquer.
I think I’ve made a fair bit of extra work for myself, but if I keep on top of my tracking and planning it’s really going to help in the long run. I don’t want to get into details yet since I may use my successes and failures as post inspiration, so without further preamble, here are my goals for 2017:
- Write at least 3 days a week.
- Submit my three shelved short stories at least three times each over the year.
- Read a minimum of 68 books over the year.
- Write a new short story.
- Learn how to meditate.
- Keep up the good exercise trend!
- Try something new.
- Look on the bright side and lose the frustration.
- Participate in NaNoWriMo 2017 and exceed 2015’s word count.
- Finish writing RA2.
- Turn RA1 into a readable manuscript.
- Read outside my comfort zone: add plays and poetry.
- Change one habit each month to be greener.
- Leave the day job at the day job.
- Make time for hobbies.
- Learn how to make a t-shirt quilt.
- Be more social.
- Relax during vacation!
- Explore different writing communities.
- Be accountable to the 6 month plan.
I am so ready to get to work on my goals! How are you feeling about this year ahead?